Apr 23, 2009

Nifty Gifty Wednesday!

I just want to thank my friend Natasha for pointing out the Nifty Gifty reference from The Office. I knew I could count on her to catch it. I tried looking for a quick clip so you could see it (and laugh your pants off), but I couldn't... so sorry. If you are at all into the show The Office, you can check out Season 3. It's the episode when they get all the new workers in from another branch... and blah blah blah.... Ok, onto todays project!!!

I have had this little bag sitting around for a bit. Its made of burlap (I think) and has these fun wood handles. It screams 60's and is SO fabulous. I have wanted to doll it up and found my inspiration suddenly this week. You have probably seen this idea around, its been floating out there for awhile, so by all means this is not [my] original...
First I traced out a heart on paper and transfered it to my bag with a pencil (that will erase later). Then I found my stash of buttons and went cA-ra-Zeeee! 
I started with a bit of tape runner on the back of each button to keep them in place while I found the look I wanted. Then I stitched them on with some blue thread. I really wanted to add a sentiment, and stitch it on too, but I couldn't find something I loved and I really didn't want to ruin it, so I left it out. If you have any ideas shoot them my way. I would love to send this to someone that has a sewing habit. This is the perfect little bag to carry your embroidery in or something. Of course I felt really bad with today's project not having ANY stamping on it, so I made up a matching card for the recipient.
I matched up the heart theme with some Kraft paper and would you believe I have some blue burlap ribbon?!?! Offray brand.  Pretty cool, so I used it. Here is a close up of the different stitches I used for the buttons. You know they don't have many holes but there are SO many ways you can thread a button. I hope you get inspired and make one of your own. You could use any kind of bag, so get creative!And that's it for my nifty gifty today. It wasn't a quick gift by any means, but I think it's got some oomph to it. But it was thrifty, since I had the bag (it was given to me, besides) SO there you have it. A Thrifty, Nifty, Gifty. And that is what I call a PERFECT-y wednesday!
Thanks for stopping by today! Leave me a comment if you desire. I LOVE hearing from you!!
Loves
k

Deets: All Papertrey Ink unless noted
Stamps: Heart Prints, Heart Print Sentiments. CHF Houndstooth Backgrounder
Ink: Vintage Cream, Dark Chocolate, Melon Berry. Color Box Chalk Ink Creamy Brown, Tim Holtz Distress Ink Antique.
Paper: Kraft, Vintage Cream. S.E.I. Striped PP
Accessories: BUTTONS!! Thread, K.E. Memories Tab Line Punch, Offray Ribbon, Corner Rounder

5 comments:

laura said...

That is so stinkin' cute, Kristie!

You are a project diva. I am sitting here wishing I could figure out how to fit projects back into my life. I think I need help.

Maybe I'll start with making my kids' Easter buckets! (Jill saved me stuff from the party.

You're amazing!

Vicky said...

I remember the Nifty Gifty episode - I'm laughing just remembering it! LOVE the Office! Kristie - this bag is SOOOO COOOLLL! What a clever idea!

♥ Audrey ♥ said...

OMG, that bag is smashing! I luv how you turned an ordinary item into something spectacular! Thanks for the award too!

ivy said...

my fave things on that bag---- buttons & hearts! great idea!

~amy~ said...

♥♥shut up♥♥ I love it!!!! buttons and hearts...I've been adding buttons to so many of my projects lately...love them and your nifty gifty project!!


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.