Mar 20, 2010

Pink Persimmon Stool Stamping!

Hey there all. WOAH! It's been over a week since I have posted. So sorry about that! It's not that I haven't been crafting. I have done a little bit but can't post anything yet. And in the process I didn't get a chance to do the extra crafting just for fun that I usually post on regular days. My DH was out of town so I spent a lot of time holding dear baby (um, I'm not complaining!) and then I came down with strep throat! It's still going, but I hope in another day I will feel back on my feet. What a painful thing it is. It reminds me of being sick when I was a kid, which is the last time I ever had this wretched illness. But back then I got to lay on the couch all day and watch movies while my mother doted on me and brought me ice cream shakes and popsicles. But I am the mother now, which means no one is doting! (Well, actually DH took two days off and its a good thing cause I really couldn't get out of bed.) And I have sworn off dairy since it really causes tummy trouble for the little newborn, so I had to say goodbye to milk shakes... boo. 

So now that I am kind of up and functioning a bit I thought I would share with you a little Pink Persimmon project I did for this fabulous month of March. For my project I really wanted to stamp on wood. I made an interesting discovery and revamped my process. Which you might be interested in reading about.

Here is the completed stool:
I picked this up from Michael's for about 6$. I had some paint that we had used for the kids room and put down an orange coat to start. Be sure to sand it well first. Using a sponge brush I added the white edging. A sponge brush really helps you control the paint to keep the edges crisp and clean. I really wanted to stamp right on the stool, but you really need a hybrid ink in order for it to stay on the paint (or even bare wood) and the orange ink I had for the mushroom wasn't hybrid. And all the other colors I had just couldn't stand up to the bright orange. Plus I get a bit stamp-shy when I know something is going to be permanent! So I decided to try something a bit different.
Here is a supply list:
I measured the top and cut it out of tissue paper. I stamped on the paper and then decoupaged it onto the stool. It does a couple of things. First it gives it this cool texture, which is something I love, but also it makes it so you can change the image on the stool. You just sand it off and put something else on when you want. No more being stamp-shy for me! I used the Large Soda Pop stamp set for the name. 
Here is a close up:
I also pulled out some nestibilities and traced around it to give me a stronger focal point. One thing you need to keep in mind is a top coat. Since I used dye based ink on the tissue paper, leaving it unfinished will cause smearing and wear. Especially for this particular stool which lives in the bathroom so little Cache can reach the sink. Any amount of water on it will cause a problem. So a light coat of varnish over the top will keep it protected. 
Here is side view:
Cache was so excited to have his own little step stool. It really helps make potty time fun!

So thats all for my tutorial and stamping project. You can check out the Pink Persimmon stamp sets I used. HERE and HERE. Plus you can see the blog post over at Pink Persimmon as well and if you sign up for their newsletter you will receive in your inbox every month a new stamping project put together by one of the creative team members which is always a lot of fun.

I hope to see you soon. Getting well and having my DH in town to shuffle kids will ensure more crafting time so I am really looking forward to next week!

Thanks for stopping by.
k



2 comments:

Natasha said...

I love it! The orange really pops and the little mushroom is so adorable!!!!

Sherry Eckblad said...

kristie this is absolutely adorable. Makes me want to make one for Micah.


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.