Oct 1, 2014

The Card Concept #20

Hey there! Can you believe its October already? I know.... everyone always says "Can you believe it?" but really, I am freaking out a bit here. There is something about Singapore and the lack of seasons that has you completely surprised when you look at the calendar and realise there are only 86 days until Christmas! Because lets be honest, every day is summer here. So it can be quite shocking that time moves so fast!

Ok... Let me ask you this... Have you been participating over at The Card Concept? This is the 4th challenge I have had the privilege to be apart of and I hope you have had a chance to participate too! 

Here is the challenge for the next two weeks. I hope you get a chance to play along. I love this photo for some reason... Isn't it fabulous!?



 I'm designing in the Elegant and Classy category this time. And here is my card:

I wanted to capture the elegance of the photo but still keep it simple. I liked the checkered tablecloth but I wanted to capture the taste that came with the candelabra, hanging beads,  and stemmed glasses. I chose this little damask stamp to use. This little stamp actually came in a three pack of Gelatos from Faber-Castell. Usually, I don't use the stamps that come with things like that. Mostly because I don't like the polymer that they use. It's kind of tough and I have trouble with it stamping clearly. But, this one actually worked really well!

One tip, before using my new stamps (especially these tough ones) I rub an eraser over it which kind of takes off the top layer of... oh, I don't know, left over plastic? Or oil? from manufacturing. This helps give it a cleaner and crisper image. Works for me every time!

I chose this GORGEOUS Metallic Cardstock from CutCardStock.com. It's in the Curious Metallic pack. I used Hero Arts Black ink and stamped my damask image. I couldn't decide if I wanted the whole thing covered or not, so I just started stamping. I like to just get into it and see what comes of it! I ended up stamping it not as straight as I would have liked, so I trimmed it down some. No harm in that!


I have this die cut set that I have been eager to use. I noticed the reverse scalloped circle that I thought seemed elegant and kind of like a spider web!


Once it was die cut in white, I used the holes and embroidery floss to stitch a bit of "spider web" to add interest to the sentiment.


I die cut my "happy", adhered it at an angel and thenstamped "halloween" under it. I thought it was nicer to have only half of the medallion covered with floss and not the entire thing. 

I matted the Curious Metallic Orange card stock and adhered it all to the card stock base.


And that's it! Halloween card done!

Do you usually send out Halloween cards? I know this holiday isn't something that happens everywhere on earth, but they are kind of fun. I think I have made many a Halloween card, but I don't think I have ever sent one!  Here in Singapore there is starting to be a following of Halloween goers. They have a haunted house and for trick or treating the place to be is "Little America" where all of the Americans introduce this crazy holiday to throngs of Singaporeans eager to dress up and walk the streets. 
But even at our condo we have some trick or treaters. Usually the kids just know candy is being passed out so they run around looking for it. If you happen to be walking around the condo on Halloween, they just walk up to you and open their bags! It's really fun. Although, imagine 100 kids running around in elevator lobbies and hallways screaming their lungs out... I need to get me some ear plugs before the big day!

Thanks for joining me today. This weekend I am looking forward to some more crafting time. Stay tuned for my personal Sweet Stamp Shop post, both my Paper Wings Productions blog hop and monthly challenge cards and of course, who can forget... World Card Making Day! Lots to keep you inspired!

Until next time....
xoxo
k

7 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

You are a master stamper, I cannot stamp in a straight line let alone pattern! Love the stitching you added to that die cut too!

Colleen Dietrich said...

We both had damask on our minds for this challenge, Kristie!

Love how you created your own background. :)

Jill said...

Phew!! Well done! Straight! Digging how you used the die with floss for the web! Great idea ;) I keep looking at those dies wondering what to do too ;) great Halloween card in the end-very crafty

Marybeth said...

Love the background you created! Love it! Such a wonderful Halloween card. Great idea with the stitching!

Yoonsun Hur said...

Amazing! Love the background you made! So creative!!

I Card Everyone said...

This spider web-like stitching is just remarkable! Okay, now I'm inspired to get moving - I haven't started my card yet!!
=] Michele

Muffin Recipes said...

I enjoyed reading your blog thanks.


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.